Medical tourism in Thailand has been experiencing an upward trend. This can be gauged from the ambitious target set by the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) of attracting over two million global medical tourists in 2009.
Thailand has comfortably positioned itself as one of the leading medical tourism destinations in the world. Its affordable healthcare services coupled with top notch quality have led to a surge in the number of international patients thronging this beautiful South-East Asian country.
Hospitals in Thailand
In 2002, Thailand became the first country in Asia to have a hospital accredited by JCI, USA. Today, 13 hospitals in the country are JCI certified. Hospitals in Thailand provide access to the most sophisticated medical solutions to the patients.
JCI or Joint Commission International is the international wing of JACO, the U.S. non-profit organization that accredits hospitals for their quality and operational standards. Having a JCI accreditation implies that an organization demonstrates the highest standards of healthcare and a constant desire for improvement and innovation.
Why Thailand for Medical Tourism?
Quality Healthcare Services
Once you have opted for Thailand, what are the things that you can expect? You can expect-
- Immediate attention to your needs as there are almost no waiting lists for varied procedures.
- Treatment by some of the world’s finest doctors with the help of cutting edge technology.
Most importantly you can expect warm hospitality and care.
Also, doctors in Thailand are renowned for their high competence levels. A number of them have undergone training in the US and West European countries.
Cost of Medical Treatments in Thailand
Since the Thai currency, i.e., the Baht is weak, Thailand can be an extremely affordable destination to avail medical care. In fact, Thailand is one of the cheapest medical tourism spots in the world.
Even after taking into consideration air fare and accommodation expenses, international patients, especially those from the US, the UK, and Canada, can substantially save over what they would otherwise spend on the same treatments in their home countries.
Rejuvenating Experience in Hospitals in Thailand
Getting medical treatment in Thailand can turn out to be an extremely pleasurable experience.
- Hospitals here feature luxuries one normally associates with five-star hotels. Be prepared to be thoroughly pampered once you are in Thailand.
- From book cafes, multinational cuisine, high end suites to personalized service, hospitals here have it all!
Combining Healthcare with Sightseeing in Thailand
The country is also an excellent place to recuperate as it is an exciting holiday destination.
- Pattaya, located 150 km southeast of Bangkok, attracts hundreds of thousands of visitors every year. You can engage in activities like windsurfing, water skiing, sunbathing, snorkeling, skydiving and more.
- Located 862 kilometers south of Bangkok, Phuket has a natural heritage of sea, sand, sky beaches, forests, and world renowned diving sites.
- The ‘City of Angels’ of the Orient, Bangkok is the political, economic, cultural and culinary capital of Thailand. It features a rather confusing medley of old world charm and modern convenience. There are more than 400 exotic Buddhist temples and a multitude of ultra modern shopping complexes. Don’t forget the Thai Grand Palace, National Museum, Vimanmek mansion and many others.
- A stay in Thailand can be extremely affordable as hotel rates range from 20$ to 150$ a night.
Thailand truly is a delight for the senses. It is a safe place to be in, since crime rates are low and there are no serious terrorism issues as such.
- Getting here is easy enough. Being centrally located, visitors can fly to Thailand on non-stop routes from any corner of the globe, both on international and Thai airlines.
- The Bangkok International airport also known as the Suvarnabhumi airport is one of the most well-connected in the world.
- Besides this, visitors from neighbouring countries such as Singapore and Kuala Lumpur can also reach there through train and bus services.
- Navigating inside the country too becomes simple as a result of multiple transport options such as taxis, rail, air-conditioned buses, etc.
Travel Tips for Medical Tourists in Thailand
Before you pack your bags, there are certain facts you need to know.
- English is not commonly spoken and hence you may have problems communicating with the locals.
- Thailand has a tropical climate, which can mean quite a few mosquito bites at times. Carry your mosquito repellent with you!
- For vegetarians, getting that vegetarian meal can be a tricky proposition.
However, having said that, Thailand truly is an experience you shall not want to miss. If you are looking for low cost and quality treatments, with a dash of leisurely sightseeing, then medical tourism in Thailand is for you.
Submit the free request quote form on the right for more information on Medical Tourism in Thailand.